Sunday, January 17, 2016

Is That $50 Android Tablet a Value or Lemon?

NuVision TM800A510LWhile I was looking for the next budget tablet to review I found a tablet that appears to be a good value but also shows many warning signs of being a lemon.

The TM800A510L from NuVision  is an 8" Android tablet that runs Android 4.4 KitKat on a quad-core 1.33GHz Intel Z3735G CPU with 1GB RAM, and 16GB internal storage.

It's selling for $50 (refurbished) or $70 (new), which is not a bad price given the front-facing speakers, screen resolution (1280 x 800), two cameras (2MP, both) and the 4Ah battery. I mean, the speakers and IPS screen alone are enough to make me want this tablet tablet, even at the full retail price.

All in all, this looks like a great deal, but I still have questions.

While everything I've seen so far looks good, I have concerns about the details I haven't found. To be more exact, I have found this tablet on sale at several retailers as a refurb, but only Walmart carries it new. Furthermore, I have found no reviews for this tablet, not new, used, refurbished, or in an immaculate state.

The fact that the refurbs outnumber the new units, when combined with the lack of reviews, makes me wonder just what is wrong with this tablet.

Why did so many people return it so quickly?

That's not a question we usually have to ask with tablets, because the answer is often explained in the reviews. Was the software configured wrong? Did the hardware fail? Or did someone drop a case of the tablets off of the dock, and then sweep up the pieces and sell them as refurbs?

And were the problems fixed, or do the refurbs still have the same flaws (only now with a 90-day warranty)?

Until I know the answer to those questions, I can't recommend this tablet, and I'm even leery of getting it for myself.

And that's a shame, because the $50 price tag on the refurb is very tempting.

So what do you think was the problem?

Check These Out!


Source: Is That $50 Android Tablet a Value or Lemon?

No comments:

Post a Comment