Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Tablets for jail inmates irritate callers

5:04 p.m. EST January 4, 2016

•Mary from Port Huron: "I see a picture of three jail inmates on the front page and playing on their new tablets. I go to work every day. I can't play. I don't even own one or a computer. Who's paying for all this free stuff? Why can't I get free stuff and I'm a good citizen. I've worked 17 years at my job. They should pay for me."

Inmates pay to use the tablets.

•Gary from Port Huron: "They want to pass out tablets to inmates in jail who, as you said in your opinion page, a lot of them are only in there for 90 days. A computer tablet is going set them on the straight and narrow? I don't think so. And it's going stop a drunk driver from drinking again? I don't think so. And as far as the tablets go, it better be put to a vote. This is ridiculous."

•Debbie from Clyde Township: "This is such a joke. I'm tired of my money going for wasteful things. These people are in jail because they committed a crime. Why do we keep giving them toys and things to play with? I can't afford the big TVs they have, I can't afford any of the weight lifting equipment they have and now they're giving them another play toy? I'm tired of giving all the money to people who have done bad things. That's why our jails are overcrowded: It's not a punishment, it's a playtime for them."

•Steve from Fort Gratiot: "You have to be kidding me, right? This isn't an April Fools joke, I bet, isn't it?"

•Randy from Port Huron: "All this is going to do is they're going to be continuing to make their drug deals over the Internet now. So now they can keep in contact with all their outside friends who continue to make meth deals and everything else. This has to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. Why don't they just start letting them have guns? Let them take their guns right into jail with them. This is such a crock, I haven't even got words for it."

•No Name: "Tom Purcell's column on Sunday's opinion page is the best column I've read in a long time. He makes complete sense. And I'm a Republican, too. And also the Times Herald opinion on the jail tablets, I agree with everything they're saying except I don't see why they're giving them to them. I mean, some guy is going to be drunk driving, he isn't going to quit. I mean, some guys that are in there have been caught five, six times drunk driving. So I mean, it's totally senseless."

•Chris from Marine City: "I hope that bartender who has a gambling problem there in Marine City gets a smoking problem. Then they won't be out of smokes no more."

•No Name: "This is to Kathy from Marine City regarding the bar that allows smoking. I don't agree with them doing that, however I have to say God bless them for eliminating Keno. Thanks to four local bars here in Port Huron, my husband has a Keno addiction. I can't begin to tell you the damage it's done to our lives. There are also some restaurants we no longer eat at because they offer Keno."

Read or Share this story: http://bwne.ws/1OHRtrt


Source: Tablets for jail inmates irritate callers

No comments:

Post a Comment