Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Van problems have me looking elsewhere for rides

Editor,

I have been using Easton Coach as my main means of transportation since Easton Coach took over after Operation Overcome: Wheels on Wheels. It is over 15 years that I have been using the van, as I don't drive.

Since March, I have experienced nothing but problems with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and its computers. So since June 21, I no longer use the van. I'll have to see how I get around to shop, church, visiting, appointments and all other things to help me get from Drifton to places serviced by the van.

I could write a book about some of the difficulties I've had in trying to get to places. I go to Saturday church in Freeland and I've had the two Saturday drivers call to check the time for church at 4 p.m. There is no reason to be picked up around 2 p.m. Probably the most upsetting event was on June 18 when I was waiting for the van and no one came until 3:15 p.m.

There is also another Saturday passenger for church. He was not picked up, as it was not on the driver's computerized schedule, or "tablet." I told the driver to try to be at the church when church ended, as I have gotten to church when the church wasn't even open yet and the man who cares for the church had to leave and I had to wait in the rain. The van didn't come until 45 minutes after church.

Another time, the computer had my name as belonging to another person coming from Kingston and going to Plymouth. This van doesn't even go there. Thank heavens our regular Saturday driver called to "release" the van through the tablet so we could go home.

There were many times when I was picked up 45 minutes before my appointment to go to a building that wasn't open yet.

Also, I've had to wait over three hours to get home from a chiropractor appointment, where he took me early, and there were no drivers around to take me to two other places.

The last day I rode the van, the driver picked me up at Carmen's Bakery and Deli in Hazleton. I was on with a man with dialysis and we dropped him off in Ebervale, which is about halfway to my house. The driver said we were not going to my house but back to Wal-Mart in Hazle Township for a lady and her son. They live in Freeland. As was mentioned in another letter to the editor, what a waste of time and money! Also, in going to Wal-Mart we had to stop and wait because the people at Wal-Mart wouldn't be ready yet.

This system is contrary to what I was told. Drivers don't just sit for about an hour. Sometimes this turns into three or four hours until somebody's name turns up on the tablet. This is modern technology? Well, it's not working.

Hopefully, things would get better, but it seems like a distant memory where Easton Coach van was a great mode of transportation!

Donna Hollis,

Drifton


Source: Van problems have me looking elsewhere for rides

No comments:

Post a Comment